The property and homestead are shown on a map from the 1800’s and originally the two farms that share the lane were a single, small, self sufficient property that’s driveway went all the way to Butter Road. When the O’Briens purchased the property, it had been converted to a rental with only a pole building covering what was a burned out shell of an old barn and 50 acres of fallow fields and woodland.
Over the next few years they spent time cleaning up rusty old equipment, clearing back trees and weeds that had been overgrowing the fields for the last 30 years, and trying to groom some better hayfields.
The original homestead is a 17’ x 22’ log cabin made of Chestnut. The ceilings are no more than 7’ high and the doors are all less than 6’. The outhouse stood to the west side behind the cellar doors. Somewhere down the line two additions were added, providing a bit more living space, but still leaving the headaches from wacking your head on the door frames!